Category
Latest news

Russian Command Opens Fire as Five Soldiers Surrender to Ukraine

3 min read
Authors
A Russian serviceman is seen amid debris and structural damage at a building in temporarily occupied territory. (Source: 158th Separate Mechanized Brigade)
A Russian serviceman is seen amid debris and structural damage at a building in temporarily occupied territory. (Source: 158th Separate Mechanized Brigade)

On the North-Slobozhanskyi direction, two Russian servicemen surrendered to Ukrainian forces and subsequently persuaded three more soldiers to do the same, the 158th Separate Mechanized Brigade reported on February 17.

According to the brigade, Ukrainian troops initially captured two Russian soldiers with the call signs “Gorets” and “Khirurg.” A drone equipped with a loudspeaker was used to deliver a warning message, informing the Russian troops that their situation was hopeless.

We bring you stories from the ground. Your support keeps our team in the field.

DONATE NOW

“Russian soldiers, we know where you are hiding. We are giving you one last chance. In one hour, your shelter will be completely destroyed. If you surrender, you will live and return to your families. All your groups that moved with you yesterday have already been destroyed and are lying in the fields,” the audio message broadcast to the Russians said.

Later, Gorets and Khirurg themselves addressed the remaining Russian troops hiding in the area.

“Surrender and you will be safe. Gorets and I are safe. Surrender if you want to live. You will be taken apart if you don’t surrender,” they said.

Following this appeal, three additional Russian servicemen emerged from their hiding places and surrendered. The 158th Brigade noted that Russian command opened fire on one of its own soldiers who was attempting to surrender.

In total, five Russian occupiers were taken prisoner by Ukraine’s Defense Forces. The brigade described the incident as a “unique case.”

Meanwhile, Russia’s 122nd Motorized Rifle Brigade has reportedly found itself isolated in Kupiansk after its commanders prematurely declared parts of the city “captured” in official reports, despite continued fighting, Ukraine’s partisan movement ATESH said.

Citing an agent within the brigade, ATESH stated that the unit is facing a deteriorating situation on the Kupiansk axis. According to the source, regimental leadership, seeking to demonstrate rapid advances to higher command, reported that several positions in the city and nearby areas had been secured.

Those locations have since been designated as “rear areas” in Russian military documentation. However, active combat is still underway there. As a consequence, Russian assault units operating in built-up urban zones are reportedly unable to request artillery support or reinforcements.

The source said requests to strike Ukrainian machine-gun and sniper positions are being denied. Artillery units are following headquarters’ maps, which mark the contested coordinates as Russian-controlled territory, effectively prohibiting fire missions in those sectors.

ATESH claims this administrative misreporting has left Russian troops exposed during ongoing engagements, depriving them of fire cover at critical moments and complicating their operations on the ground.

Earlier, a Ukrainian reconnaissance and strike ground robot reportedly took three Russian servicemen prisoner during a combat mission, underscoring the expanding use of unmanned systems in frontline operations.

See all

Support UNITED24 Media Team

Your donation powers frontline reporting from Ukraine.
United, we tell the war as it is.